Pastor Phone

Pastor Norlyn Bartens (618) 553-9932
graceneligh@gmail.com
Worship times: Sundays at 10:30 a.m. Saturday Evening before 1st and 3rd Sunday at 6:00 p.m. Sunday School at 9:30 a.m.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Prepare for Wednesday - March 28




Prepare for Wednesday

From the Catechism
What is the Fourth Commandment?
Honor your father and your mother.
What does this mean?
We should fear and love God so that we do not despise or anger our parents and other authorities, but honor them, serve and obey them, love and cherish them.

For self-examination*
+ Have I cared for my children as father or mother placed by God to nurture these children in the fear and love of His Name?
+ Have I taught my children, prayed for them, brought them to worship, and instructed them in the baptismal life as God’s own beloved children?
+ Has the fear and love of God shaped my honor and obedience to parents and others in authority over me?
+ Have I trusted God to bless me and make my life good when I submit to the authority of parents and those over me, or have I been angry with them, rebelling, fighting against them because I was afraid I was not getting what I had a right to get?
+ Have I been insolent, sullen, and disrespectful to my parents, teachers, employers, or authorities over me?
+ Have I been on good behavior when they are present and mocking them when they are absent?
+ Have I given honor and respect to the pastoral office?
+ Have I helped those who carry responsibilities of governing?  Do I pray for parents, leaders of the nations, schools and church?  Do I grumble about work given me to do?

*Questions from Lutheran Service Book Pastoral Care Companion, p. 657ff

No comments:

Post a Comment