Pastor Phone

Pastor Norlyn Bartens (618) 553-9932
graceneligh@gmail.com
Worship times: Sundays at 10:30 a.m. Saturday Evening before 1st and 3rd Sunday at 6:00 p.m. Sunday School at 9:30 a.m.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Difficulties of Inner City Mission Work

Below is a picture of Rev. Joshua Gale ministering on the streets of Philadelphia.  This is the Pastor whom Vicar Murray will be training under this June.  Pastor Gale's ministry, Philadelphia Lutheran Ministries, is currently having difficulty working in the city.  You can read more about it by clicking on the picture below.  The article gives you a great idea of what Philadelphia Lutheran Ministries is doing.  In the picture is Rev Gale ministering to a homeless man in the red hat.  Below the picture is a "teaser" (part of the article) to get you interested enough to read the whole.




From Pastor Joshua Gale:
"While hanging rafters in a Chicago suburb seven years ago, I decided I would go to seminary to be a pastor in the LCMS. I never thought much of my work in my first call would be illegal. I serve food to the homeless every Saturday night in Love Park, and often throughout the week while on foot—something that will be illegal in a few short weeks."
"In a statement from Philadelphia’s Mayor Michael Nutter delivered Wednesday, giving food to the homeless in public will be illegal, punishable by fines. The rationale the mayor gave us for the ban is that he wants safer food conditions for the poor, increased dignity for the homeless, better access to public programs for those who need them, improved coordination between aid agencies, and cleaner streets. I think those are great goals. I want those things. I hope those things become a reality. I work for those things every day."


No comments:

Post a Comment