Pastor Phone

Pastor Norlyn Bartens (618) 553-9932
graceneligh@gmail.com
Worship times: Sundays at 10:30 a.m. Saturday Evening before 1st and 3rd Sunday at 6:00 p.m. Sunday School at 9:30 a.m.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Ordination - 20 Years Ago Today



VP Ernst and Pastor Kuhfal 
    Twenty years ago on June 14, 1992 at Faith Lutheran Church, San Diego my home congregation I was ordained into the Office of the Holy Ministry.  Anniversaries are a time for reflection.  At that service I made some sacred promises to the Lord, promises similar to what each of our Vicars make when they are ordained.  Each year around the time of my ordination date I am reminded of those promises.  I thought it might be helpful for you to see what I promised I would do as I stood at the altar where I was baptized, confirmed and took my first communion.

Michael Ernst Second Vice-President of the English started,
P “In the presence of God and of this congregation I now ask you:  Do you believe the canonical books of the Old and New Testaments to be the inspired Word of God and the only infallible rule of faith and practice?”
R  I do.

Ordination Picture Pastor Kuhfal center in red

P  Do you accept the three Ecumenical Creeds, namely, the Apostles’, Nicene, and the Athanasian Creeds, as faithful testimonies to the truth of the Holy Scriptures, and do you reject all the errors which they condemn?
R  I do.
P  Do you believe that the Unaltered Augsburg Confession is a true exhibition of the Word of God and a correct exhibition of the doctrine of the Evangelical Lutheran Church; that the Apology of the Augsburg Confession, the Small and Large Catechisms of Martin Luther, the Smalcald Articles, the Treatise on the Authority and Primacy of the Pope, and the Formula of Concord – as these are contained in the Book of Concord – are also in agreement with this one scriptural faith?
R  I do.
P  Do you solemnly promise that you will perform the duties of your office in accordance with these Confessions, or Symbols, and that all your teaching and your administration of the sacraments will be in conformity with the Holy Scriptures and with the aforementioned Symbols?
R  I do.
P  Will you faithfully instruct both young and old in the chief articles of Christian doctrine; will you forgive the sins of those who repent, and will you promise never to divulge the sins confessed to you; will you minister faithfully to the sick and dying; will you demonstrate to the Church a constant and ready ministry, admonishing people to a lively confidence in Christ and holy living?
R  I will with the help of God.
P  Finally, will you adorn the office of the public ministry with a holy life?
R  I will, the Lord helping me through the power and grace of His Holy Spirit.
At that point, I knelt and VP Ernst placed his hands upon my head and said:
P  David Kuhfal, I ordain and consecrate you to the holy office of the public ministry in the one, holy, Christian, and Apostolic Church, in the name of the Father and of the + Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

It is hard to believe I have served twenty years in the office of the ministry.  When I consider the office to which I was called, I am often humbled by the task.  Through the years I have experienced many joys and also many sorrows, times of laughter and times of pain. 
When Vicars or other pastors ask me what the secret of being in the ministry so long is, I tell them it is the same as staying in a marriage – mutual forgiveness.  In a marriage no spouse is perfect – both are sinners.  When that sin rears its head – when troubles come – the important thing is what you do with them.  Do you run from them or work them out.
There are times when I feel like I am not worthy of this office, nor perform the duties to the high standard that I would like – I am not perfect.  It is then that I need to first confess it and place it into the hands of the Lord who placed me into this office.  Then I need to hear the words the Lord said to Moses when he in frustration threw down the tablets, “The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin…” (Exodus 34:6-7)
Similarly, there are times as your Pastor that I have failed you.  There are times I am aware of and I am sure many more times I am not aware.  When I fail, which as a sinner I will, I pray that you come to me, show me my sin, that I might ask your forgiveness.  I need your forgiveness. 
That mutual forgiveness between Pastor and people is so important.  The devil is constantly trying to destroy the relationship between pastor and people, just as he does with marriages.  He tries to destroy congregations by allowing sins to go without forgiveness, thereby building a wall of hostility.  Those walls develop when sin continues to build without reconciliation.
I have served the Lord here at Grace for seventeen and a half years and I hope to continue many more years.  The longer I serve here, the more important I see forgiveness between Pastor and people to be.  Too often Pastors think the grass will be greener somewhere else – that at another place they will not have to deal with sinful people – wrong.  Too often congregation members think, “If we could get rid of pastor x then things will be much better, for then we will have a perfect pastor” – wrong. 
If you sin against me, I pledge to come to you, to not harbor it, to not talk behind your back.  I ask that you do the same.  It is my desire that our many years in the future will be as blessed as they have these past years.


Left pastor’s dad, center VP Ernst, far right Pastor Bremer (pastor’s home pastor), knelling for blessing Pastor Kuhfal 

No comments:

Post a Comment