Pastor Phone

Pastor Norlyn Bartens (618) 553-9932
graceneligh@gmail.com
Worship times: Sundays at 10:30 a.m. Saturday Evening before 1st and 3rd Sunday at 6:00 p.m. Sunday School at 9:30 a.m.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Prepare for Friday - April 6

Questions in preparation for Friday's Service
Jesus’s Suffering
From the Catechism:
What is the Second Commandment?
You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
What does this mean?
We should fear and love God so that we do not curse, swear, use satanic arts, lie, or deceive by His name, but call upon it in every trouble, pray, praise, and give thinks.

For self-examination* 
+ Do I curse?  Have I cursed?
+ Have I used God’s name cheaply or for oaths that are frivolous or false? Do I swear by God’s name when it is for the truth of the Gospel or the benefit of my neighbor in need?
+ Do I pray with fervor in times of trouble?  Am I bored and indifferent in prayer?
+ Am I bored with God’s Word?  Do I neglect the study of the Catechism, doctrine, and God’s Word so that I cannot speak about Him clearly and truly?
+ Is my heart and life in the praise of God in worship?  Am I mouthing things while my heart is far away?
+ Is my life, marked with the Name of God in Baptism, characterized by thanksgiving and prayer?

*Questions from Lutheran Service Book Pastoral Care Companion, p. 657ff

No comments:

Post a Comment