Pastor Phone

Pastor Norlyn Bartens (618) 553-9932
graceneligh@gmail.com
Worship times: Sundays at 10:30 a.m. Saturday Evening before 1st and 3rd Sunday at 6:00 p.m. Sunday School at 9:30 a.m.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Prepare for Wednesday - February 29

Prepare for Wednesday


From the Catechism

What is the Eighth Commandment?
You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
What does this mean?
We should fear and love God so that we do not tell lies about our neighbor, betray him, slander him, or hurt his reputation, but defend him, speak well of him, and explain everything in the kindest way.

For self-examination*
+ Have I told the truth in court or before authorities when I knew the truth?  Or have I been afraid to bear witness when it was necessary?
+ Have I gossiped, delighting to tell others about the faults or mistakes of another, excusing myself especially by saying that what I told was only the truth?
+ Have I gone to others to make peace if I wronged them or they wronged me; or to correct them if I knew of their wrong?
+ Have I flattered others, or put on a front to make them think of me differently from what is true?
+ Have I found ways of explaining in the best possible way those works or actions of others that hurt me?
+ Have I defended my neighbor when things said about my neighbor have made others think badly of him or her?
+ Have I learned to bear with the weaknesses and faults of another, covering over their shame?
+ Have I been faithful in keeping the secrets of another’s heart entrusted to me in confidence?  Have I betrayed such trust?

*Questions from Lutheran Service Book Pastoral Care Companion, p. 657ff

No comments:

Post a Comment