Pastor Phone

Pastor Norlyn Bartens (618) 553-9932
graceneligh@gmail.com
Worship times: Sundays at 10:30 a.m. Saturday Evening before 1st and 3rd Sunday at 6:00 p.m. Sunday School at 9:30 a.m.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Prepare for Ash Wednesday - February 22

Prepare for Ash Wednesday

Before each Lenten Service you will find a post that will cover the Commandment, the Meaning of the Commandment from Luther's Small Catechism, and questions that you can use for self-examination before the service.  Here is the first for Ash Wednesday.

    

From the Catechism 9th Commandment

What is the Ninth Commandment?
You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.
What does this mean?
We should fear and love God so that we do not scheme to get our neighbor’s inheritance or house, or get it in a way which only appears right, but help and be of service to him in keeping it.

For self examination* 
+ Have I longed for the honor, wealth, happy life, or what seemed the ease of the lives of others?  Has my life been full of the craving for these things?
+ Have I been stingy and self-indulgent with my money, trying to keep up with what others had?
+ Have I tried by claims to various rights to make the property of another my own?
+ Have I rejoiced with a generous and good heart in the good thins that come to my neighbors?
+ Do I have to keep wishing for and dreaming about things I don’t have before I can work with a diligent  or glad heart?
+ Have I lived in grudging discontent with whatever God has given me, restless about what I don’t have and neglectful of thankful generosity with what I do have?

From the Catechism 10th Commandment 
What is the Tenth Commandment?
You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
What does this mean?
We should fear and love God so that we do not entice or force away our neighbor’s wife, workers, or animals, or turn them against him, but urge them to stay and do their duty.

For self examination*
+ Have I wanted my neighbor’s spouse, his workers, or his property to be mine?
+ Have I tried to win the affections and loyalties of my neighbor’s spouse or friends away from the neighbor and to me?
+ Have I tried to make spouses and workers discontent with their lot to get them to search for another?
+ Have I urged friends and spouses and workers to go back to their calling, holding their friendships, marriages, or work together?
+ Have I fostered discontent with the congregation and its pastor, and failed to urge members to stay and do their duty?

*Questions from Lutheran Service Book Pastoral Care Companion, p. 657ff

1 comment:

  1. Pastor,
    I am glad I stumbled upon these questions for reflection. I will be using them myself. Thank you for making this available!

    May I share these with others?

    ReplyDelete